Today I am starting a new adventure.
For the past two years of this dessert blogging I have gained 20 pounds!
I am not proud of that. I don't blame the blog entirely. It's been my overall eating habits, laziness, lack of planning, and general mindless eating that has packed on these pounds.
I've tried many times to start a "diet" and they lasted only a month or so with a loss of 5 pounds. To help make this new eating habit stick and keep my weight loss momentum going, I'm turning to you, my fans, my blogger friends, and my family to help me see this through.
1. Lose 20 pounds
2. Educate myself about eating better
3. Learn more about sugar, fructose, sucralose, lactose agave, honey, maple and any other REAL sweeteners.
4. Find an exercise routine that works for me
5. Try a lot of new recipes that include a lot more veggies
6. Find an eating lifestyle that works for me and my family
7. Find and Share inspiration about weight loss and exercise goals
8. To share my struggles and bumps along the way
9. Make some new treats and snacks that don't revolve around sugar!
10. Lose 20 pounds
Don't worry about not seeing a dessert recipe here on Wednesdays. As part of this goal, I want to make treats and snacks that fit in with my goal. There will be a drastic reduction in sugar and flour, but I still want to satisfy my sweet tooth. I am only human.
My first "recipe" is a Protein shake that I've been enjoying for breakfast for the past month.
One of the toughest things to eliminate in the morning was my coffee. I like it sweet! I like it with milk. I tried to give it up over the summer, but honestly, I just couldn't do it. So I started reducing my intake and now I am down to half a cup of coffee. Not half of a mug, a half cup.
I found that by using cold coffee, almond milk and the chocolate protein powder, I got a nice semi-sweet mocha coffee that I tolerated.
Then I added some peanut butter to it.
Then I added a frozen banana to it.
Then I added some spinach to it.
Then I worked up the courage to add some Kale and chia seeds to it.
And I still like it. Pretty Awesome!
All that good stuff, blended up for a healthy, protein packed breakfast that held me over for 4 hours. Not too shabby!
Yes, it took a week for my body to go respond to the "limited" food in the morning, but I've gotten over that hump and I'm doing good. I'll let you know next week if it's still enough before a morning run.
I've tried a few different protein shakes and I really like this CytoSport 100% Whey ProteinChocolate. My husband is a purest and likes to just add his scoop of protein to a cup of water.
I like my way better.
Along with me on this journey to better health, losing weight and getting in shape are a few more bloggers. Please head on over to
and show them some support on their quest.
If you are a blogger and interested in joining us, please send me an email (email@example.com) and I'll send ya some information!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: breakfast beverage snack vegetarian sugar-free low-carb
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 heaping scoop of CytoSport 100% Whey Protein
- Follow the guidelines of the protein powder that you choose
- 1/2 C Black Coffee, cold
- 1/2 C Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 heaping Tbls Powdered Peanut Butter
- Big handful of Spinach
- Small handful of Kale
- 1 tsp Chia Seeds
- a few ice cubes
- banana, strawberry, blueberry - any frozen fruit you think would be good
- ground flax seed
Add all ingredients in order into your blender or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth.